PORTSMOUTH, Va. — A man and his dog were rescued from a two-story detached garage in Portsmouth’s Park Manor neighborhood that caught fire from a space heater late Tuesday morning, fire officials told 13News Now.
- Dog repeatedly escapes animal shelter to sneak into nursing home
- York police comfort dog Major goes viral on TikTok with cute videos
- Malnourished dogs found in Fayetteville home, investigation underway
- Binghamton engineers program robotic seeing-eye dog
- GOLDEN YEARS, SILVER SNUGGLES: GREY MUZZLE HOSPICE GIVES ABANDONED DOGS A LOVING LAST CHAPTER
Portsmouth Fire, Rescue, and Emergency Services were notified of the blaze on Thelmar Lane near Earl Street at around 11:25 a.m.
Responding firefighters said an “elderly male was in the rear of the structure, hanging out of a window and unable to exit the garage via the internal steps.” Using a ladder, firefighters were able to reach the man and help him and his dog safely down.
Officials said the man suffered smoke inhalation and was brought to a hospital where he was determined to be in “stable condition.”
The blaze was put out in about 20 minutes, fire officials said. The man hospitalized was the only injury reported.
Investigators determined the fire was accidental and ignited when a space heater and combustible materials came into contact.