MARTIN COUNTY — Two teens were hospitalized and a dog was killed Sunday in a fire at a home in the North River Shores neighborhood on Northwest Fork Road, according to Martin County sheriff’s officials.
- These 15 Amazon Deals on WIRED-Tested Gear Have Never Been Cheaper
- Dog story: How falling in love with a new puppy eased my pet loss grief
- ‘Mutts’ creator sets Guard Dog free after decades in chains to address the issue of dog tethering
- ‘Justice for Steffie’ Owners seek answers after family dog is fatally shot by deputy
- White House, Secret Service respond after emails describe Bidens’ dog attacking people
Firefighters responded to the scene around 2:30 p.m. Sunday, said Cory Pippin, a Fire Rescue spokesperson.
Two teens escaped from the fire and needed medical care, according to the Sheriff’s Office. A family dog died in the blaze.
An 18-year-old was airlifted to a local hospital after suffering burns and smoke inhalation from the fire, sheriff’s officials said.
More:Behind his smile, Nick Alincy would ‘make people’s days without even knowing’
The second teen, whose age was not disclosed, was also transported to a local hospital, according to the Sheriff’s Office.
Investigators believe the fire began in an electric golf cart charging area, sheriff’s officials said.
More:Fuel seeps into Indian River Lagoon from sinking boat near Sewall’s Point
More:Skate park nonprofit focused on raising money for construction in East Stuart
Mauricio La Plante is a breaking news reporter for TCPalm. Follow him on Twitter @mslaplantenews or email him at [email protected].