- Electrical extension cords cause fire in Smith Avenue SW home on Wednesday evening.
- Two dogs died, six were saved, one missing.
CANTON ‒ A fire that killed two dogs at a home near Tuscarawas Street W was caused by extension cords in the home’s living room, Canton Fire Division Chief Steve Henderson said.
Three dogs and three puppies were saved from the fire at 209 Smith Avenue SW on Wednesday evening, he said.
A neighbor called 911 at 6:45 p.m. about a fire in the two-story house. Fire crews arrived four minutes later to find the first floor fully involved.
Two residents of the home arrived after fire crews. They said all the occupants were out, but there were multiple dogs inside.
While crews were extinguishing the fire, search crews found eight dogs; two were dead and three dogs and three puppies were saved. All were treated for smoke inhalation. Medics resuscitated one dog and another remains unnaccounted for.
The American Red Cross was called to help both residents who were displaced. The owners took the dogs to another location.
Damage to the structure was estimated at $26,000, and $10,000 to the contents.
Henderson said several calls from the city’s west side were made to dispatch around the same time about an explosion, but it was not apparently related to the fire.
This story will be updated.