From Oregon to Florida, good girl and boy doggos have been showing signs of a mysterious infectious respiratory illness.
- FROM TERRIFIED STRAY TO CUDDLY SWEETHEART: CUTIE PIE MELTS HEARTS IN RESCUER’S ARMS
- The Detroit News
- Fayette County woman to appear in court for animal cruelty charges
- PIT BULL FOUND CHAINED TO A TREE OUTSIDE ABANDONED RESIDENCE MAKES A REMARKABLE HEALING
- Mother elk charges Colorado couple walking dogs in Estes park
Fourteen states have reported cases of sick dogs with symptoms similar to kennel cough. But unlike the common infectious respiratory disease complex, these illnesses are not responding to the usual treatments.
Animal health officials are still figuring out what is causing this illness, and therefore, what can successfully treat it. In some cases, the illness has lead to pneumonia and even death.
Here are the symptoms of the mystery dog respiratory illness for dog owners to look out for:
More:Naughty dog finds forever home after shelter’s hilarious post: ‘We want Eddie out of here’
Dog respiratory illness symptoms include coughing, lethargy, nasal discharge
- Coughing and sneezing
- Difficulty breathing
- Rapid breathing
- Wheezing or nasal whistling
- Difficulty exercising
- Nasal or eye discharge
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
Experts encourage dog owners to contact their veterinarians immediately if any of the symptoms occur, especially those that can lead to pneumonia.
What states have the mysterious respiratory dog disease been confirmed in?
As of Monday the illness had been reported in the following states:
- New Hampshire
- Rhode Island