Anyone still parked on the couch after Santa makes his grand entrance at the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade knows that another turkey day treat is in store: The National Dog Show.
- What’s the best dog breed? Survey shows each state’s favorite
- Kate Bosworth and Justin Long Kiss While Walking Their Dog
- Elusive white dog spotted living with coyote pack in Henderson
- This golden retriever is nursing 3 African painted dog pups at a zoo because their own mother wouldn’t care for them
- Daisy the retriever has found 155 Frisbee golf discs in W.Va.
In between peeling potatoes and baking pies, you can catch a glimpse of purebred dogs large and small parading around an arena with their handlers.
The Kennel Club of Philadelphia, which has hosted shows since 1879, will crown one very good girl or boy Best in Show yet again this Thanksgiving. This is the 22nd year it has streamed on the holiday, in part thanks to the comedy film “Best in Show” with Eugene Levy and Catherine O’Hara.
Here is how to watch and enjoy the National Dog Show:
When is the National Dog Show and how can I watch it?
The National Dog Show airs following the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade on NBC on Thursday, Nov. 23, 2023 from 12 p.m. – 2 p.m. in all time zones. The show will also stream on Peacock.
In-person, the National Dog Show actually takes place the weekend before Thanksgiving and is taped for the Thanksgiving viewing. The live show took place at the Greater Philadelphia Expo Center at Oaks Nov. 18-19.
Who are the hosts and the judges?
- John O’Hurley – Host of the The National Dog Show. O’Hurley is a former Broadway musical star and TV personality known for his role in “Seinfeld.”
- David Frei – The former host of Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show supports O’Hurley as the National Dog Show expert analyst.
- Mary Carillo – This sportscaster has worked on the National Dog Show for nearly a decade.
- Carrie Chase – Chase will judge the competition this year. She has been involved in the sport of purebred dogs since 1988, and one of her own Corgis holds the record for the most wins by a Pembroke Welsh Corgi in American Kennel Club history.
Who won ‘Best in Show’ in 2022?
Winston the French Bulldog, whose full registered name is, GCHP Fox Canyon’s I Won The War at Goldshield, won the National Dog Show competition in 2022.
The now retired pooch has won 78 Best in Show titles in his career.
NFL player Morgan Fox of the Los Angeles Chargers is one of Winston’s owners.
How did the National Dog Show become a Thanksgiving tradition?
The tradition is partly inspired by the 2000 parody film “Best in Show.”
The mockumentary-style comedy follows several owners of show dogs as they prepare for the intense competition. The film stars Eugene Levy, Catherine O’Hara, Jennifer Coolidge, Jane Lynch and John Michael Higgins.
An NBC Sports executive saw the film in 2001 and saw an opportunity to replace the showing of “It’s a Wonderful Life,” after the parade, as reported by purebred magazine Showsight. After some leadership convincing and a sponsorship by Purina, it became a staple in the line up.